- Getting Registered
- The Fun Stuff
- Hotel & Travel
- About Us
As the name suggests, the OR Manager Conference Reverse Expo flips the traditional expo format – the vendors come to you for one-on-one meetings! We understand your time at the conference is valuable, and you need to make the most of your time on the Exhibit Hall floor finding the suppliers that fulfill your needs. Since these meetings occur before the Exhibit Hall opens for all attendees, it provides you a dedicated time to ask questions that might otherwise be more difficult while others travel across the show floor.
New perks for participation include a complimentary room night at the Omni Nashville Hotel, and a private reception for Reverse Expo participants and vendors! Confirm your interest during registration and you will be contacted shortly with more details.
*Participation in the Reverse Expo is required. If you are approved and agree to participate, but do not attend the Reverse Expo event, your room night coverage will be rescinded.
More ASCs are expanding into new service lines such as total joints, complex spine, robotic cases and vascular procedures. This workshop will discuss strategies to help providers become more competitive in the market and best position their outpatient surgery center for growth. Learn about opportunities in different service lines, capital expenditure requirements, costs for implementation, justifying the ROI and how to present the case to your board.
• Learn the trends in ASC service line growth and how they can transform the patient experience.
• Learn how to get surgeon buy-in and transfer surgeries to an ASC setting.
• Understand how to fully integrate a new service line in an ASC center.
Business plan for service line growth and procedural covered list for ASC and HOPD Medicare rates
Caregiver wellness remains low as worry and stress have persisted at unprecedented levels well into and after the pandemic. Many leaders are rightfully concerned about declining wellbeing and the threat it poses to caregiver safety, productivity, and performance. Join Gallup to explore strategies for dealing with burnout and stress.
• Discover the “ripple effect” and how employee burnout undermines caregiver health, safety and productivity.
• Learn about the 5 root causes of stress and burnout impacting your team.
• Understand how prioritizing your own wellbeing first will help others improve their wellness.
Nurse leaders control the largest part of an organization’s labor budget and in some cases the largest part of the overall budget. This workshop will provide new managers with education on key financial concepts necessary to effectively manage the financial performance of perioperative services. Content of the program includes an analysis of staffing in the perioperative areas, including productivity calculations and possible reasons for not meeting targets. In addition, the workshop will provide an understanding of an organization's measurements for financial success, a deeper understanding of revenue/expense variances, operational budgets and capital equipment justifications. Content will be applicable to both ambulatory and inpatient surgery departments.
• Calculate FTE need, including staffing mix and benefit time.
• Interpret productivity metrics and understand actions to take to meet productivity targets.
• Learn the process for justification of capital equipment and articulate methods to budget for supplies.
Staffing matrix spreadsheet, 15-year capital budget template and sample capital proposal
The 2023 OR Manager Conference will offer experiential education with a field trip to the TriStar Centennial Medical Center Advanced Joint Replacement Institute and the Vanderbilt Case Cart Operations Center. Transportation will be provided and departs from Music City Center at 2:00 PM local time.
TriStar Centennial Medical Center Advanced Joint Replacement Institute
Tour the newly renovated eighth floor of TriStar Centennial Medical Center. Strategically located near the existing Orthopedics Medical Office Building, the TriStar Centennial expansion is a “hospital within a hospital” and was redesigned with all stakeholders in mind. Built to serve Patients, Families, Staff, Physicians and Vendor Partners, this state-of-the-art facility features all the bells and whistles. Explore their non-traditional orthopedic operating rooms, PACU spaces, pre-op/recovery spaces as well as their beautiful lounge area, expanded storage, robotics equipment and a “dream” sterile processing department.
Vanderbilt Case Cart Operations Center
Come tour the 51,000 square-foot offsite sterile processing facility at the Vanderbilt Case Cart Operations Center. This facility was built to solve inventory and space challenges. During the tour, you will see how sterile processing and supply chain work together to create a complete case cart build. Learn how implementing an offsite sterile processing and supply chain department can improve efficiencies to increase surgical case volume.
*Transportation will be provided. Additional fee applies.
Enjoy this private reception for Reverse Expo participants and vendors! Confirm your interest during registration and you will be contacted shortly with more details.
Grab a quick bite and network with your peers before the Keynote kick-off for the week!
Today’s leaders are challenged like never before. At the same time, they are in a unique position to have a greater impact on the future of their industry. So how can you stay inspired and continue to grow and evolve as a leader when chaos reigns, morale is low and change is a constant? Spend a high-content, high-fun hour with The Inspiration Nurse and get primed, pumped-up and supercharged for the coming decade!
The ASC has expanded its ability to perform complex spine procedures that at one time were only performed in a hospital. This expansion includes complex procedures such as two-level anterior disk replacement, 360s, and three-level lumbar cases which are performed daily. This presentation will provide ASC leaders with tools and knowledge to negotiate managed care contracts, implant costs, and how to successfully bill the cases. You will learn how to carve out spine codes for managed care contracting, work with vendors for implant pricing, and the importance of coding the cases to meet the managed care contractors' requirements.
• Provide an overview of how to develop a complex spine service line.
• Review the CPT codes used in the complex spine case using a scenario-based example.
• Understand the importance of insurance verification and confirming authorization.
Process flow charts on insurance verification, confirming implant and biological needs, and instrumentation
How do you maintain profitability when costs are increasing, reimbursement is stagnant, and surgery contribution margins are decreasing? Attend this session to understand how to analyze profitability, maximize service lines and report your OR's performance.
•Review processes that drive actionable change in contribution margin.
•Understand key partnerships for process improvement.
•Optimize presentation of data driven results, OR governance and hospital leadership.
Sterile Processing is key to the success of any OR. Ensuring you have the right systems in place requires knowledge and predictable processes to meet daily OR needs. Hear how Rush University Medical Center in Chicago teamed up with STERIS to standardize their operations and culture leading to improved staff and leadership engagement and performance. Not only are staff following proper procedures every time, their work on missing instruments saved over $600,000 in instrumentation spend as well as impressed and surpassed expectations for The Joint Commission visit. Attend this session to receive the latest updates on sterile processing standards, compliance and how to assemble the right team.
• Learn how SPD can provide the OR what they need every day – in a predictable and reliable manner.
• Understand how to comply with ST91 Scope Requirements – even if you don’t care about scopes.
• Discuss the advantages of standardizing to an SPD Playbook – ensuring every process is completed in a predictable and uniform manner no matter who is doing the work.
Handout with steps to improving your sterile processing department
The nurse staffing crisis, competing demands and shrinking hospital margins are putting nurse leaders to the ultimate test. In order to be an effective leader, the stakes are higher than ever. The need to balance optimism in the face of adversity is paramount to confront reality and build a resilient team.
Effective leadership has to look very different to motivate teams today. This presentation will address issues related to racial bias in healthcare, patient care delivery models, sustainability and integrating well-being to effectively lead today.
• Learn the key characteristics and traits of effective leadership.
• Verbalize the importance of social corporate responsibility in leading a team.
• Develop leadership tools to navigate today's challenging environment.
Strategy guide to effective leadership
Newly promoted and overwhelmed, are you wondering how you’ll get it all done? You are pulled in so many directions, responsible for so many things and juggling daily tasks just to get through the day. You may be left wondering – where should I focus and how can I prioritize? Attend this session for a deep dive on focusing on what you can control and learn how to articulate your needs to the C-suite so you can get the help you need and effectively lead your team.
• Develop a gap analysis to know what your challenges are and how to prioritize them.
• Know the difference between what you can and cannot control.
• Build strategic relationships with people who can help you solve problems.
Gap analysis spreadsheet customizable for any facility
From bottleneck to throughput to phase II and phase I, your day is filled with judgment calls. In this session you will have direct access to postoperative leaders who have a combined 45+ years of experience leading the PACU. Learn their secrets to success - they are eager to share their insights and experiences with you! Bring your most pressing questions to help you overcome your greatest challenges.
• Learn the fundamental concepts of PACU leadership and how to empower your team.
• Adjust your leadership style to cope with challenging situations in post-operative care.
• Discover best practices for optimizing patient throughput and managing communications between departments.
Perioperative nursing curricula is absent from many collegial nursing programs which can reduce the awareness of opportunities to build a career in the perioperative space. In particular, busy ASC centers have been facing nursing shortages and some newer nurses may lack clinical experience and have gaps in understanding certain clinical standards. This session will dive into the intent to develop a perioperative training program for ASCs, and how to attract and retain new talent into the profession.
• Learn how to attract new nursing graduates into the ASC training program.
• Understand why you need an orientation training program and steps to implementation.
• Discover the value of orientation and why it’s a great retention tool.
Curriculum requirements for building an orientation training program for new nurse graduates
The traditional model of pre-op clinics and pre-admission testing are designed to coordinate a perioperative plan of care and provide patient education. But for high-risk surgical patients, a better approach to pre-admission is needed to ensure improved patient outcomes.
Hear how one facility developed a “Pre-habilitation” optimization clinic for high-risk patients, engaging them weeks before surgery to improve co-morbid medical conditions. Learn how they decreased the rate of complications and improved patient outcomes through collaboration with various service lines, primary care, senior leadership, nursing and anesthesia.
• Discover the benefits of a “Pre-habilitation” clinic for high-risk surgical patients.
• Learn communication tools to collaborate across teams to improve pre-surgical plan of care.
• Evaluate processes to decrease the rate of adverse events and improve patient outcomes.
Blueprint to launch a “Pre-habilitation” clinic that can be implemented in any-sized healthcare system
To be competitive in today’s surgical suite, health care systems must establish an environment of continuous improvement for safe patient care and staff satisfaction. To ensure the highest level of quality and safety, it is imperative to develop a framework between hospital leadership and perioperative services.
Hear one case study on how cross-functional teams came together to launch a continuous improvement initiative. Learn how they engaged staff, identified weaknesses in processes, and how they used lean and six sigma tools throughout the process.
• Track and report perioperative process improvement initiatives.
• Understand the importance of continuous improvement in healthcare.
• Learn how to replicate the program as desired at other institutions.
Step-by-step guide on building a continuous improvement structure incorporating six sigma practices
One of the key concepts for managing costs and ensuring you have adequate supplies is understanding how to optimize your supply chain. Whether you are a large health system working with a GPO or a small facility making your OR’s purchasing decisions, knowing how to control your inventory is key to success.
• Understand key concepts for value analysis and how to put a process in place.
• Discuss best practices for contracting with vendors and maintaining inventory control.
• Understand how to manage costs in times of extreme inflation.
Supply chain planning dashboard that can be implemented in large or small health systems
Creatively utilizing the entirety of a nurse’s scope of practice can provide professional opportunities and help to address challenges related to healthcare demand. Hear a case study from one facility facing logistical challenges with staff and how the perioperative leaders came together to cross-train PACU nurses to provide procedural support.
• Learn how to increase utilization by cross-training staff for procedural care.
• Explain the clinical standards required for procedural care in the recovery area.
• Understand who the key stakeholders are to help you need in the procedural care process.
Checklist to identify appropriate procedural space and training for the PACU nurse
Attend this lunch presentation to learn about a multi-modal approach on the use of aromatherapy as an effective adjunct for stress, anxiety, pain, and post-operative/post-procedural nausea & vomiting.
Learn the outcomes and the importance of nurse-led research for three projects in an urban-based, safety-net community hospital system focusing on the improvement of staff wellness and patient care outcomes.
• Understand how the use of aromatherapy reduced stress levels in nurses during a worldwide pandemic.
• Learn how the use of aromatherapy on surgical patients reduced pain scores and PRN opioid use.
• Discover how using aromatherapy on post-operative and post-procedural patient population reduced secondary use of PRN antiemetic use for nausea and vomiting.
Perioperative services have faced significant capacity challenges due to physical space constraints, finite equipment resources, and national staffing shortages. This session will focus on strategies to optimize staffing capacity through aggressive onboarding, cross-training and migrating non-complex cases to ambulatory surgery centers.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of staffing models in addressing capacity challenges and improving job satisfaction among perioperative staff.
• Understand the impact of case load management strategies, including decanting non-complex cases and transferring non-surgical procedures to local ambulatory surgery centers.
• Measure the effectiveness of aggressive load leveling strategies in increasing OR utilization and recapturing maximum capacity per day.
A framework to implement simultaneous initiatives designed to stabilize and enhance staffing, increase efficiencies, improve job satisfaction and reduce burnout
Manual OR processes and first-generation analytics tools frequently prevent hospitals from achieving OR revenue and utilization goals. Innovations in automation, behavioral science, and comprehensive real-world data are being embraced by leading health systems to transform how healthcare is provided to their patients, especially with their surgical programs. In this session, learn how a major health system has rapidly transformed its OR scheduling processes with AI-based automation software. By providing their teams with these innovative tools, they have reduced workload while simultaneously increasing utilization and surgical case volumes, despite staffing challenges
•Learn how to improve OR staffing predictability through the use of AI-based automation software.
•Discover how you can grow robotic cases by 30-50% leading to increased OR efficiency.
•Learn how you can reduce manual work leading to increased staff satisfaction.
Precepting is vital to helping new nurses achieve the critical skills necessary to ensure patient safety in a new environment. Hear from one facility on their educational endeavors to mentoring new staff and how they implemented a successful program across their health system. Plus, hear how they transitioned experienced nurses from other specialties into their perioperative fellowship program. This session will provide you with a step-by-step guide to developing an effective preceptor training program at your facility.
• Understand best practices in transferring knowledge and skills when orienting.
• Learn how to provide constructive feedback to empower the novice learner.
• Discover how effective preceptor training can serve as a powerful retention tool.
A detailed guide outlining principal learning objectives to mentor new staff
The OR is a challenging and stressful environment for all people. Behavioral issues among teams pose challenges not only for team dynamics but also for patient safety. Hear how one anesthesiologist developed a "Three-Legged Leadership" tool to bridge anesthesiology, nursing, and surgeons to better manage behaviors in the OR and increase staff satisfaction.
• Discover the "Three-Legged Leadership" approach to managing behavior.
• Develop an action plan to improve team dynamics.
• Learn communication tools to change negative behavior in the OR.
Framework for building a “Three-Legged Leadership” plan
In your new role, one of your daily challenges is likely staff scheduling. In today's healthcare world, travelers are more common, and recruitment and retention of permanent staff are high priorities for all systems. Hear from one facility on how they assembled a team to develop a surgical case schedule, established relationships with teams outside of the OR, and implemented a pod structure to improve communications leading to increased staff satisfaction and scheduling optimization.
• Discover creative ways to think outside the box to develop an innovative staff schedule.
• Learn how to support staff growth and upskill your team.
• Focus on areas to develop clinical operations nurse managers.
Creative staffing model template that can be customized for any type of facility or health system
This session focuses on managing expectations when patients are held for an extended length of stay in the PACU due to lack of inpatient beds. PACUs require large nurse to patient ratios contributing to the cost of care, straining staffing capacity, and impacting patient experience. Learn creative strategies to increase staff utilization and achieve higher patient satisfaction scores.
• Transform the patient experience by integrating a nurse-led interprofessional cabinet structure.
• Learn training tools to help staff care for patients during extended length of stay in the PACU.
• Plan the locations and equipment required for extended stay patients.
Blueprint to design an interprofessional team and build a Magnet culture of excellence in patient care
Attend the OR Manager Awards Ceremony and support your colleagues! Three awards will be presented to the best-of-the-best in perioperative leadership: OR Manager of the Year, Ambulatory Nurse Leader of the Year and PACU Leader of the Year.
Where are we now with patient safety after 3 years reacting to changing pandemic protocols? Attend the afternoon keynote session to understand how the industry can refocus, prevent medical errors and take a different approach to patient safety.
Welcome to the exhibit hall on the first evening of the conference! Take advantage of this first opportunity to interface with vendor partners, catch up with colleagues, and explore the latest solutions for the surgical suite. Engage with more than 140 vendors who offer products and solutions designed to maximize efficiency in the OR, improve operations, optimize scheduling and staffing, and design the OR of your dreams. Whether you have an immediate or a future need, creating lasting partnerships with your vendors will benefit your facility for years to come!
Let this be your inflection point to explore a new paradigm and discover how decision science and intelligent guidance can help improve your OR planning and performance. In this session, you will learn how to address the root cause of surgical schedule and planning inefficiencies by holistically accounting for all the resources that need to be brought together in an optimal way. Optimized capacity planning leads to maximum OR utilization and surgical throughput, translating into revenue increases, better employee experiences as well as positive impacts on patient experience and health.
• Discover how decision science can be utilized for enhancing OR planning and performance.
• Gain insights on stabilizing the day of surgery and reducing unplanned disruptions that lead to unplanned overtime and patient dissatisfaction.
• Learn the intelligent recommendations that transform OR planning habits leading to unprecedented improvement in planning and performance.
Learn strategies from one surgery center on how they are thriving on a shoestring budget. No need for high-tech block scheduling, this surgery center is not only small, but mighty! Learn how you can efficiently schedule surgeon cases, team up with community hospitals and increase utilization by thinking outside the box.
• Understand how your surgery center can do more with less and be profitable!
• Learn how to improve efficiencies and increase staff utilization.
• Learn how to manage surgeon expectations in the ASC setting.
Quality Improvement (QI) projects in the OR are essential to remain competitive and provide the highest standard of patient care. While QI projects are essential to running a highly efficient OR, the introduction of new technologies and service lines can pose challenges for staffing, processes and workflows.
Hear from one facility how they introduced a new service line procedure that was traditionally performed in the radiology department and transitioned to a state-of-the-art hybrid OR. Understand how they navigated the new environment, the training required, and the steps they took to improve workflows during the transition.
• Develop a plan to ensure safe patient care during a QI project.
• Learn how to effectively manage workflows during transitional change.
• Improve team communications and efficiencies while implementing a QI project.
Educational tool to ensure a positive workflow during a QI project
Since the pandemic, hospitals are looking for creative strategies to bridge the staffing gap. Hear from one facility who was particularly struggling to find surgical technologists (ST) to staff the OR. Learn how they created an innovative approach to fill the ST shortage by designing a licensed professional nurse (LPN) scrub internship program to support multiple campuses within the health system. The LPN to ST hire ratio was 7:0, validating the program's benefit to staffing the OR.
• Discover how LPNs can effectively contribute to the OR.
• Learn key components to a successful LPN internship program.
• Develop a strategy to utilize alternative staff resources.
A curriculum to match the LPN scope of practice applicable to the OR environment, encompassing both didactic and direct clinical instruction
How do you manage disruptive behavior in your OR? The OR Nurse Manager shoulders responsibility to create an inclusive, safe environment for the entire surgical team addressing threats including disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior directed towards others, often witnessed, and violating the standard of respectful conduct, may be expressed by increasing levels of severity as incivility, micro-aggressions, bullying, or sexual harassment. It’s important to respond in a consistent, timely manner to improve staff morale, and increase productivity and staff retention. Using tools to help guide you along the way, such as the “Safe Surgery Debriefing Protocol” (SSDP) can be your key to success.
• Define “Safe Surgery Debriefing Protocol” (SSDP) as a tool to address issues in communication.
• Learn how using demonstration videos and mock debriefings can serve as a tool to mitigating disruptive behavior.
• Build self-confidence for all team members to speak up.
An electronic copy of the Safe Surgery Debriefing Protocol (SSDP)
Patient flow, acuity, staffing, and nurse competency present challenges for effectively meeting patient and organizational needs on a daily basis. This session discusses a collaborative process used to recruit, train, and retain competent PACU nurses without prior critical care nursing experience through a transition to practice program. This session shares the successes and challenges at a large academic medical center and a community hospital.
• Learn the benefits of creating a transition to practice program for PACU nurses.
• Outline the characteristics of core curriculum requirements of the orientation program.
• Understand how to overcome common challenges implementing the transition to practice program.
A step-by-step guide to create a new graduate or medical-surgical experienced-nurse into a PACU orientation program
The independent ASC leader looks for the latest technology tools to improve patient care, increase utilization, streamline staffing and run an efficient and profitable surgery center. This session will provide you with information on the latest technology trends to modernize your ASC and increase staff satisfaction.
• Discover the impact of a CT-based robotic-assisted technology to hospital and patient outcomes in joint replacement surgery
• Review case studies on intraoperative efficiencies with a CT-based robotic-assisted joint replacement
• Learn how robotic technology can be used as a tool to increase patient volume and improve staff satisfaction.
Attend this session to understand key financial metrics to evaluate block management strategies.
• Define key financial metrics for the OR.
• Understand the financial impact of various block allocation and management strategies.
• Compare tools for block-related financial analysis.
In 2023, Oregon joined three other states in passing legislation requiring smoke evacuation in all surgeries likely to generate surgical smoke. The legislative process began in 2011 and took nurses and other OR stakeholders over a decade to change the culture in the OR and change the law.
This case study will start with the background of the concern, institutional history and failed change management. It will also outline the process by which OR clinicians and leaders engaged with lawmakers and professional bodies to draft and support legislation to require smoke evacuation in the OR. This includes having constituent meetings with lawmakers and providing testimony to state congressional committees as well as coming to compromise with those groups opposing the bill language.
• Understand the importance of nursing engagement in advocacy to progress the profession.
• Learn how to connect with professional bodies to understand what current nursing practice issues are being discussed in legislation.
• Understand why legislators need to hear directly from nurses and nurse leaders.
Educational tool for making connections to professional organizations to understand current issues impacting nursing and perioperative services
A patient’s journey through the perioperative process encounters many barriers and bottlenecks. Where do leaders begin to identify these roadblocks, and what is the root cause of the roadblock? Attend this session for a deep dive conversation with Perioperative Services leaders about their journey to identify and overcome throughput barriers, and how you can apply these lessons in your practice.
Leaders must define critical success factors to ensure patient safety and quality within the surgical environment. You make quick decisions, but empowering your team to make hard stops is critical at potential points of failure. Attend this session to learn best practices to empower your team to speak up and establish a safe environment of care.
• Learn how to empower your staff and establish a culture of safety.
• Understand how to assert yourself and instill effective tactics for your team.
• Discover where you have failure points and where you can implement hard stops to ensure patient safety.
Ensuring your PACUs are efficiently staffed but not too lean is always a challenge. Attend this session to hear strategies on developing a PACU staffing model tool. Accurately assess the number of staff needed at any given time of day, organize shifts to cover those times, demonstrate the need for nursing and hospital leadership to gain support.
• Develop a staffing plan to lesson call burden and obligation.
• Create a staffing schedule from budgeting full-time equivalents (FTEs) to actual hours of operation.
• Develop a strategy and plan for staffing overnight patients.
Staffing model template that can be adapted for any sized facility
Engage in more educational sessions presented by the exhibitors! Exhibitors will be hosting sessions throughout the day in their booths, as well as at the 2 theaters on the exhibit hall floor.
Meet us in the exhibit hall for our 2nd annual Pitchers & Pitches event! Grab your cocktail or mocktail, take a seat in the audience, and hear from 5 vendors at rapid-speed. Each company will have 10 minutes to tell you about their products and solutions, giving you more opportunity to identify potential partners for your facility. You will have ample time to visit their booth for a demonstration and follow-up after the session.
The OR Manager Conference Poster Gallery is an opportunity to see completed research, in-progress research, performance improvement projects, or clinical practice innovations. We strive to promote communication and collaborative research among nurses, provide a setting for exchange of information and lessons learned, and explore advancements in perioperative clinical practice. The poster gallery will be available for viewing throughout all exhibit hall hours. Attend during these times to meet the authors and earn your CEs!
Enjoy lunch with your peers and network with solution providers at the lunch in the Exhibit Hall.
“Wine” down on the exhibit hall floor with us! Take advantage of this time to ask exhibitors any remaining questions, collect contact information, and see a demonstration before the hall closes. Let’s raise a toast to the first two days of learning, expanding your network, and making connections with new and existing vendor partners.
Meet us on Broadway for OR Manager’s Night Out! One of the most popular events during the conference, OR Manager’s Night Out is an opportunity to relax and spend time with your colleagues. This year, we are heading to country music star Luke Bryan’s venue, Luke’s 32 Bridge Food + Drink, where we will enjoy dinner and drinks, and hit the dance floor while listening to a live band perform in true Nashville fashion!
*Ticket included with purchase of Best Value Pass. Separate Registration required for all other passes.
Addressing workplace violence is critical to the success of your outpatient surgery center. Today’s workplace is challenged like never before with violence making a disruptive impact. ASCs can be especially more vulnerable to random attacks and active shooter situations. Compared to a larger hospital setting, ASCs can be easier to breach, targeting staff and patients. Attend this session to get training tools to make your ASC safe, protect your team and improve staff retention.
• Learn what components you need to build an educational safety program to prevent acts of violence.
• Understand what types of personnel and equipment are needed to prevent the potential for a violent attack.
• Develop a safety plan for your team.
Demand for hybrid ORs across the nation is on the rise. The opportunity to save time and money, coupled with the prospect of developing a more efficient profit model, make the development of a hybrid OR attractive for any facility.
• Learn how to train staff on new equipment and integrate robots working alongside humans.
• Understand how contracting services and preventative maintenance providers can reduce your hybrid OR downtime.
• Discover the tools available to ensure quality and safety while optimizing your hybrid OR suite.
ROI spreadsheet to make the case for investing in new technology
Rural hospitals play a critical role in healthcare advocacy and care to their community just as large tertiary hospitals do. However, few healthcare providers for either side understand how closely rural and urban hospitals work together to provide their community with the care they need through strategic planning and affiliations. Rural hospitals are small but mighty as they work with their tertiary counterparts to meet the needs of their communities. This session will focus on educating the OR nurse on the role of rural and tertiary surgical staff and compare their clinical importance to each of the communities they support together and individually.
• Learn how rural and tertiary hospitals can work together to provide better patient care.
• Understand the importance of both types of health systems.
• Develop an education plan for OR nurses to support each other and serve their community.
Collaboration support tool for working with tertiary and rural health systems
Nurses must realize the impact of effective advocacy to promote safe and quality healthcare today. Legislative advocacy activities by nursing leaders include understanding the legislative process, building relationships with legislative decision-makers, mastering the art of communication (negotiating, testifying, endorsing), participating in legislative activities, and analyzing the effectiveness of advocacy.
This session will convey the secrets of becoming an advocate in the legislative arena and best practices needed to become an effective advocate. As a core discipline, advocacy is mandatory for all nursing leaders as they enter into the world of policy and politics.
• Explore why legislative advocacy is a critical attribute for nursing leaders.
• Develop the advocacy role in perioperative nursing leaders.
• Examine the outcome of effective legislative advocacy.
Guidelines on how to become an advocate for patients and the profession to help advance healthcare issues and positions
In your leadership role, you might feel you are “on stage” at all times. Where do you find your energy from? Are you showing up for your team? How can you set healthy boundaries to ensure you can be present for your team? Attend this session to learn how to develop relationships with your team to build trust.
• Discuss the peer-to-leader transition and how to navigate this change.
• Learn how you can have a thoughtful presence.
• Build a team that can fly solo without you.
KPI checklist to setting boundaries
Adolescent and pediatric patients have unique needs in the PACU. The PACU RNs without pediatric background can find it challenging to care for children and teens alongside adults. How do we meet the needs of this unique patient population and their families in the PACU?
• Learn about the unique needs of the pediatric and adolescent patient population and how it’s different than caring for adults in the PACU.
• Establish a process to be more welcoming and provide a safe space for recovery.
• Embrace family presence in the PACU and implement a process for a smooth transition to discharge and recovery at home.
Checklist of critical success factors to effectively care for pediatric and adolescent patients
Ambulatory Surgery Centers have been in operation for more than 40 years as an alternative care organization for surgery at a lower cost while providing exceptional outcomes. Thanks to technological advancements, ASCs have seen tremendous growth. As more ASCs open up across the nation, ASC leaders need to know the latest developments impacting human resources, regulations, new service lines, reimbursement, and more! Bring your questions to this interactive session and learn from ASC experts on the most pressing issues impacting your surgery center.
• Learn best practices to become an effective ASC Leader.
• Develop a plan to overcome daily challenges in the ASC.
• Learn strategies to improve patient satisfaction.
Communication across the healthcare continuum has been enhanced through the use of technology. Many platforms exist to provide data that is convenient and accessible to many users simultaneously. Convenience may come at a cost when computer systems are becoming more vulnerable to cyber-attacks. When that continuum is disrupted, how do you cope operationally with lost data? What strategies can you implement to keep your operations afloat during the crisis? Hear a real-word scenario on lessons learned and how to develop a strategy in the event your EMR goes down for an extended period of time.
• Develop a business continuity plan in the event your EMR goes down.
• Outline the immediate steps to take to keep operations running.
• Learn how to cope operationally when you have lost data.
A step-by-step guide to ensure your disaster recovery plan is comprehensive to address the initial downtime and prepare you for a longer outage event
The opioid crisis continues to be a public health concern. Traditionally, an opioid-centric approach treats postoperative pain. Incorporating a multi-modal analgesic Virtual-Reality (VR) program can allow for nursing adoption of novel evidence-based practices (EBP) and promote the use of non-opioid and non-pharmacological interventions. The practice of incorporating multi-modal analgesia as a standard workflow can improve patient outcomes.
• Examine ways to decrease opioid exposure in the post-surgical patient.
• Learn how to implement a multi-modal analgesic quality improvement program.
• Discover why Virtual-Reality (VR) is a preferred method for pain control to improve patient outcomes.
Creative staffing schedules are an absolute necessity in response to the current perioperative staffing crisis. The initial priority begins with an assessment of staffing resources with consideration for consolidating roles and cross-training departments. Next would be establishing a community training for perioperative nurses, surgical technologists and SPD technicians with nationally approved courses. Finally, promotion of systemness through establishment of a staffing resource pool to encourage flexible scheduling of surgical patients and perioperative staff to improve workflow would be a tertiary plan. Attend this session to get a step-by-step guide to respond to the staffing crisis at any stage.
• Discover creative strategies to optimize human resources.
• Develop an innovative workflow strategy to increase efficiency.
• Create systemness to support safe staff transitions.
Creative staffing model that can be adapted to any sized facility
Bring all your burning questions to the ask-me-anything panel of experts from the OR Manager Conference Program Committee. With a combined 45+ years of experience as OR leaders, they are here to inspire you and help you navigate the challenges as new leaders of the OR. This interactive panel is an open format and highly interactive.
• Learn best practices to become an effective new leader.
• Develop a plan to overcome daily challenges as a new leader.
• Learn strategies to improve your leadership skills.
Join this closing panel discussion with speakers and committee members as they tie it all together from the conversations over the week. Bring your most burning questions. What did you learn, what do you want to know more about? Walk away with tools to bring back to your PACU and become better equipped to lead your team. Take advantage of this opportunity to have your questions answered by this distinguished panel of PACU experts.
• Learn best practices to become an effective PACU Manager.
• Develop a plan to overcome daily challenges in the PACU.
• Learn strategies to improve patient experience.
Humor has been proven to benefit nurses, first responders, leaders, families, relationships and individuals by reducing stress and releasing trauma. Learn how you can turn a stressful crisis into a manageable event and come out stronger on the other side by using humor.
Wrap up your education vacation’ by attending the closing keynote which promises to be the icing on the cake of a very insightful week! Join Nancy Norton, RN, for an impactful hour focusing on the power of humor in being an effective leader!
Using laughter as medicine, Nancy will delight the audience with comedic stories on life’s biggest pain points, most rewarding accomplishments and send you off feeling refreshed and recharged.
• Recognize the difference between adaptive and maladaptive humor styles.
• Discover how the use of adaptive humor bonds us with our teams, builds trust and leads to increased staff retention.
• Learn how humor enhances creative problem solving, lowers stress and creates a sense of well-being.